Friday 21 June 2019

Don't judge a book by its cover...

Having lived for more than two decades, I realise many things. It is in those moments of contemplation, a chance encounter or an experience touching my very core that these realisations occur. 

All these years I thought I knew what the well known phrase, 'Don't judge a book by its cover' meant. But it is only recently that I have come to fully realise its implications and ultimately, its significance.  



It was maybe three years ago when I had met a young woman at university. Her outward appearance was striking - to me, at least. My first impressions of her were unfavourable, but once I talked to her, she was smiling, friendly, welcoming. A year, or two years after that encounter, I saw her again but this time her outward appearance was different to the first time I saw her. She wore garments that made me feel humbled in her presence. I truly admired her, and thought her more beautiful than I.

It was then that I remembered my first time meeting her and how I had been unfair in my judgement. I heard my conscious reprimand me for wrongfully judging this woman and having these thoughts about her appearance. I mean, if everyone judged by appearance, who would have known that there are rubies and diamonds in the mines? Or pearls in dull-looking oyster shells?

Many people can give you a wrong impression solely by their appearance but once you get to know them and perceive them as they are (without attaching labels or assumptions about them), you will have done the right thing. Imagine judging someone just because of what they look like! How absurd it sounds! 

But then there also exist people who deceive you and others by their appearance. You would think they are respectable people, but in fact, they are the complete opposite. You may be asking, 'What to do then?!' Well, what I would do is, once their deception becomes apparent and I know that they are far from being respectable human beings (with tangible evidence!) I would avoid them like the plague. 

So, I pray to have refuge in my Lord from judging people unfairly. I pray that He perfects our character. 

And I pray to have refuge in my Lord from those who deceive:

"And of mankind are some who say: We believe in Allah and the Last Day, when they believe not. They think to beguile Allah and those who believe, and they beguile none save themselves; but they perceive not." 

[chapter 2: verses 8-9]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment